Saturday 9 April 2016

No merino - no spinning

Guess what!
I live in a country with no merino sheep!!!
I've been dying to learn how to spin for quite some time now. So I decided to get a drop spindle (start small and later maybe get a spinning wheel) and some quality fleece... In order to avoid shipping costs I decided to get local fleece. I posted an enquiry at the agricultural forum asking for some raw merino wool - almost 200 views and no response!!! I almost can't  believe it!
It seems that all sheep-breeders around here care just for meat and milk and no wool.
I found however an add where a women was offering 40 kg of clean (washed) wool "for spinning and felting".  I called her, asked if she was willing to sell smaller quantity, she said yes so I scheduled to visit her on my way to my mother's as she lives nearby.
I had my hopes all up this morning. Though, it was strange that she said that the wool was "sewn in something"...
The first shock was when I arrived at her house - just like from scary movies. Large, neglected looking house with an old car in front, the first floor some old closed shop, everything so old, rotten, scary.... I was with my children and the first instinct was just to run away. However, I called her, she came down (strange looking women) wearing a sack of wool. From the first look I new that it was no good. When I felt it it was so coarse, that even a carpet would be too rough. For insulation purposes only... My, my, was I disappointed!!! Eventually I will have to get some expensive wool for spinning from eBay.
So instead of spending my day spinning, I was tearing some old shirts and dying them... will post tomorrow how it turned out.

No comments:

Post a Comment