Wednesday 21 September 2016

INITIAL STASH AND A LESSON LEARNT

I arrived to Dortmund with a hope to find a good job and to expand my hobby - knitting and crocheting.
I was hoping to find a good local yarn store (YLS) and also a knitting group. I took some of my stash with me....and some projects in development. I must say, I forgot some "less" important things for everyday life like bed linens or dinner plates, but what is important that all essential things are here with me, even my drop spindle and some nice merino roving - my new passion: spinning.
Anyway, the second or third day I arrived I spotted a small shop nearby my home that sells mostly Lana Grossa yarn.
I entered the shop and the owner was behind the desk, fervently knitting something. She stood up immediately when she saw me, I said (in German) that I would like to look around, she said OK and went back to knitting.
Several minutes later, after I inspected the shop, I asked if there are some knitting groups in the neighbourhood. She said no, there was one a couple of years ago, but not anymore... I suggested we could found one together and her eyes brightened, but than I added that I do not speak German that well and that I should probably start an English speaking knitting group after which her facial expression abruptly changed: difficult to explain how she looked like, a combination of disappointed, disgusted, indignant... I don't know. That was my first lesson learnt in Dortmund: DO NOT SAY YOU DO NOT SPEAK GERMAN, ESPECIALLY IF GERMANS THEMSELVES DID NOT NOTICE!

No comments:

Post a Comment